Sunday, May 30, 2010

Popcorn!


Those who know us know that Mike is addicted to popcorn. He makes himself a pan of popcorn at LEAST twice a week, and we've even had weeks where he's made it every night! I think that qualifies as an addiction. I've been asked by several friends for our Caramel Popcorn recipe, so I thought I share it here, with the masses. (Okay, so really, all 7 of you...) Thanks to my Grandma Martindale for this recipe, which we've modified to create other DELICIOUS flavors!!!

Caramel Popcorn

1/2 of a brown paper grocery bag of salted popcorn (oil-popped is best)
1 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. Karo Syrup
1/2 C. real butter
1 tsp. baking soda (not powder...ew)

In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, syrup & butter to a full boil, then remove from heat & add the baking soda. Stir together until the whole mixture is nice and frothy. Pour it over the popcorn already in the bag and stir to coat the popcorn as best you can. Fold down the bag and put in the microwave for 1 minute. Take it out and shake, baby, shake! Put it back in for 1 more minute, then take it out and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Once it's cooled a bit, it will harden, so squeeze the bag to break it all up.



For other flavors, replace the brown sugar with white sugar, and add a small (3 oz. I think) package of whatever flavored Jell-O you like. Follow the same directions for the Caramel Corn, and you may just slip into a popcorn addiction of your own! BTW, we're working on perfecting our Chocolate Popcorn, and our Peanut Butter Popcorn recipes. If you aren't addicted yet, just wait!

1 comment:

Jen said...

I tried this last night. Yummy flavor, but I think I "shook, shook, shook" too hard. There were a lot more broken and tiny pieces than I usually get with my caramel corn.