Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow



I love hair. I love my Katie's long beauty queen hair. I love the fuzz on my little guy's nearly bald head. I love Meredith's funky short hair, and I love the purple streaks in Erinn's bleach blonde coiff. I'm also so glad that I'm not one of "those" people who go to the stylist for a haircut and only get a trim because they're too chicken to get a real cut. Hair grows back, people! It's not like you're getting a tattoo! Of course, looking at photos of me over the last few years would lead you to believe that I'm the epitome of "those" people. It's not that I like having boring, straight, long hair. I really don't. Really. Why then, have I only had ONE haircut in the last 2 years??
I've thought about it and I've come up with this list:
1. Time. Kids, house, school, work, church. Your typical culprits.
2. Style. Nothing jumped out at me as a cut I would LOVE to have, nor have I found anyone I want to have cut it. I want someone who can look at me and tell me exactly how my hair should be cut and colored, then do it.
3. Self-esteem. I'm grossly overweight (an issue I'll be addressing in an upcoming post, so please don't patronize me in your comments) and the thought of cutting my hair felt more like putting lipstick on a pig. You know, covering up the real problem.
4. Ease. That's a nicer word than laziness. If I got it cut, I'd have to DO it instead of wear a ponytail.
I don't know what the final straw was, (probably Dixon pulling it every time I nursed) but I finally bit the bullet and went with a referral I got from a friend. I'm still short on time, I still haven't found my golden stylist, I'm still chubby, and I can still pull my hair up into a ponytail. But only a teeny tiny nub of a ponytail now.
I guess I'll start working on the whole "grossly overweight" thing now.

7 comments:

Fiddlefish said...

You look FANTASTIC!!!!!! Great cut!

Unknown said...

Focus less on "grossly overweight" - hello, you just had a baby! - and focus more on the fact that you are a terrific wife, mother, friend, and daughter of God, who just got a FABULOUS new haircut!

Jen said...

I love it!! And I don't think it would be patronizing to say that "grossly" is a GROSS overstatement. You look great. And you deserve to be pampered, hair and all.

Ardie said...

I agree with everyone else... you look fantastic. You look great with long hair, AND you look great with short hair. How cool is it that you can pull off both looks.
By the way, I agree with your philosophy on hair. :)

Julie w said...

You're soooo lucky your hair grows fast. Mine's like a turtle compared to most other's hair growth ratio's. It does come in handy when I decided to color it though.

Nice cut! Very cute!

Jonesy said...

Awe, thanks gals. I have the greatest friends! Just to clarify, when I used the word "grossly" it was less measurement, more carrying the weight of 50 extra pounds (which almost all of it was already there pre-pregnancy)and feeling gross about it. I'm not totally thrilled with the cut, but on the positive side, it made me only 48 lbs. overweight. Progress.

heather said...

Love it and I must say you look fab every time I see you!!!